Monday, December 29, 2014

Day 4: I'll Be Home for Christmas/Twisted Sister

How can one think about the Christmas holidays without thinking of a home or a place that is central to one's heart? To many, this is a family home. Maybe a grandmother's house, a childhood home. It can even be a new home.

At the beginning of December, my 7th grade students and I read "Homeless" by Anna Quindlen. It's a short, personal essay about what a home is to the "homeless."

I love how Anna states:
           "...it is precisely those dumb things that make it what it is--a place of certainty, stability, predictability, privacy, for me and for my family. It is where I live. What more can you say about a place than that? That is everything."

And yet, a home is more...

As Anna brings up in the essay, "Home is Where the Heart is," has become a sentiment that equates with the ideology that where ever we are, we can be at home. It's more of a feeling of security and presence. I feel the same way about my walk with God.

Whether I'm at the coffee shop, school, church or in my home, I can be in the presence of His company. And wow. That can be a very secure and homely feeling. Especially on the days when I feel alone or lack confidence or strength to face the trials of the day.

The Bible tells me so in the story of Paul:
I reflect on his time in prison in Acts 16; 16-30.

Take the time to read this section if you aren't familiar with it. I never get a sense that Paul is unnerved or swayed by his imprisonment. He is strengthened by prayer and ultimately saved by the grace of God.

Where ever your home is, be at peace this holiday season and throughout the year knowing that the Lord is with you!


Day 4 Christmas-Carol-Kinda-Day Pick:

I'll Be Home for Christmas

sung by Twisted Sister

via YouTube

When I was looking around for a version of the song to highlight today, I ran across this one by Twisted Sister. It fits what I wanted to say. Our versions of "home" may be different for everyone, but the sentiment is still the same. "It's where you'll find me."

Thought for the day: Where do you find Jesus? God?

No comments:

Post a Comment